Christoph Kukulies schrieb:
Hi,

don't know whether it's the CDROM drive (a Creative 52x mx) or the motherboard (ASUS P4S8X) or what. Anyway, I tried to install a recent version of FreeBSD (7.1-BETA2) and the installation
hangs right in the boot process of the installation CD disc1.

I see

acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 120 seconds for xpt_config run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 180 seconds for xpt_config

and so on.
Final remark:

I changed the motherboard in the end but actually I suspect that the reason the install got hung was not the READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR (I got this error also with the new motherboard and the install got past this error and continued), the reason was, that I had an ASUS ST-200 SCSI card (NCR Symbios chipset?) sticking in the
system that could have caused all the trouble.

Either it was the fact that this card had trouble with FreeBSD anyway (I remember something in this vein)
or the card was defective or it was a problem with card and motherboard.

Anyway, the problem has resolved.

Thanks  a lot for the good advice, explanations, tips etc.

--
Christoph