Pongthep Kulkrisada wrote:
Hi All,

I have just subscribed to freebsd-questions and I have a question about ppp
-nat.

I have 2 computers. One is running FreeBSD-7.0R, the other is running WinXP.
The host running FBSD7.0R has been connecting to the outside world using
user-ppp without any problem for very long. Now I want to share internet access
to the other host behind NAT through this FBSD host.
My FBSD machine has 2 interfaces i.e.
        tun0 (connecting to ISP) with dynamic IP (of course)
        fxp0 (for internal LAN) with static IP of 192.168.1.10
My WinXP machine has 1 interface (internal LAN) with static IP of 192.168.1.11

Previously I have a router acting as a gateway for all machines behind NAT. But
now I want FBSD machine to work as a gateway. I have never done this before. I
tried some googling with reading ppp(8) and ipfw(8). And I tried masquerading
but it didn't work. I have plenty configuration files. But the relevant
configurations are listed here.

/etc/rc.conf
# enable IP forwarding
gateway_enable="YES"
# previously I ran web-server, just disable it or comment it out, not sure why!
#apache_enable="YES"

On the host running WinXP, I set its gateway and DNS server to the IP of ppp
host i.e. 192.168.1.10.

I then inserted the following line as the first rule in /etc/ipfw.rules.
/sbin/ipfw add allow all from any to any via fxp0
(I know this rule is dangerous, but just for testing.)

I then issue the ppp command.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ppp -background -nat myisp

FBSD host (running ppp) can access anywhere but WinXP host can't. I learned
from some site explaining that ppp itself has the capability of IP
masquerading. And it does not require natd(8). So I don't mention about natd
here.
Anyone have a clue or who have done the correct configurations, please point me
out.

Thank you in advance.
Pongthep

You need to run dhcp so you can assign ip address on the LAN so the down stream xp box can gain access to the public internet through your gateway freebsd box. There is a detailed step by step instructions in the install guide at www.a1poweruser.com