Joe S writes:

>  >> What on earth is going on with release scheduling?
>  >
>  > Two words: volunteer project
>  >
>  > I would propose to do away with the release schedule altogether, or make
>  > it very succinct;
>  >
>  >  next release: when it's done.
>
>  What? Isn't that the Linux kernel schedule?

        "When it's ready" used to be the scheduling principle.
        Then came 5.0 debacle: behind schedule big-time (and arguably
not ready when it went out the door).
        I remember discussion afterwards, where there seemed to be
agreement there ought to be a more-or-less regular schedule of major
releases every two years (plus or minus) with minor releases every
few months.
        Looking at "www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html", that's
getting stretched.  The RC-1 announcement for 7.1, originally
scheduled for early September, is now listed as last week ... and
didn't actually happen.  (Unless I missed the memo.)

                                Robert Huff