Thank you all for your suggestions.  This will be a project for me
over the holidays.  I decided to go the standalone wireless router
approach.  I will need to figure out how to configure my standalone
wireless router to "pass everything through" to the internal LAN that
I already have.  Also I don't know too much about security, like how
to prevent eavesdroppers from connecting to my internal network.  One
of you mentioned access lists, and I assume that means I tell the
wireless router which MAC addresses it accepts, and nothing else.  Is
there any other way to provide security?  Like a password-protected
network?  What are the buzzwords for these security schemes?  Which
security scheme do you recommend for preventing random people within
proximity from connecting to my internal netowrk?