Jerry wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:45:12 +0000
Kris Kennaway <k...@freebsd.org> wrote:

[snip]

It is still true that the change from 5.6 to 5.8 was very disruptive because it broke lots of things in the ports tree.

Is this the official reason that Perl-5.10 has not been released into
the ports tree?

Are ports being tied to specific versions of Perl? I did some Googling
and found that of the users that have installed Perl from source on
FBSD, most were not experiencing any major problem. If every time Perl
is updated it will require massive changes or whatever to the FBSD
ports, then perhaps there is a fundamental flaw in the ports system to
start with.

The issue with 5.8 was that the perl developers made various incompatible changes that broke lots of third party software included in the ports tree, which all had to be fixed. I don't know what the issue is with 5.10.

Kris