As a newcomer to freebsd and a long time Perl user, this was one of the first things I noticed. 5.8.8 as distributed on freebsd 7.1 is extremely old.

-Will

Jerry wrote:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why Perl was not updated to the
latest stable release; i.e. 5.10.0 rather than 5.8.9 recently? It
appears that some ports are having problems with this odd version
update; i.e., "/news/inn" and possibly "/mail/mailscanner" as examples.

With the latest version of Perl having been released over a year ago,
it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to waste the time to port
an older version.