Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svei...@lvor.halvorsen.cc> wrote:
Is it possible to pkg_add -r packages from -STABLE on the latest -RELEASE? That is, will the following work, or slowly render my
system to an incoherent state:

RW wrote:
It'll work most of the time, but occasionally it will fail, when a
STABLE package relies on a library or other feature that's not in the
release.

A compromise might be to stick to the release packages, until portaudit
reveals a significant vulnerability and then switch to Stable until
the next release.

But when that happens, should I upgrade just the one affected package, or grab updates for all my installed packages, to make sure all packages on the system is concurrent? That is, made from the same ports tree at some point in time.

        Svein Halvor