per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:
I've got a network running different versions of FreeBSD
(6.3, 7.0) on different architectures (i386, SPARC64).

What I'd like to do is export the ports hierarchy to all machines,
but preserving ports/packages for each version/architecture.
I also want to make rebuilding indexes run as fast as possible.

Right now, I simply exports(5) /usr/ports via NFSv3 ...
The following 2 lines on each machine in /etc/make.conf should
fix those problems:
PACKAGES=${PORTSDIR}/packages/${ARCH}
INDEXFILE=INDEX-${ARCH}-${OSVERSION:C/([0-9]).*/\1/}

To speed up building, it may also be useful to set WRKDIRPREFIX
to something like /var/ports or /var/tmp/ports, so that the work
directories are local rather than having to be accessed via NFS.

Thank you very much!

--
Regards,
Doug