editors can produce backup files - eg emacs adds a ~ to the backup
file. the backup file keeps getting changed as you make changes to the
original so you i'm wondering what the point of them is.

i turn off backups (so my directory doesn't fill up with ~ files), but
then i also don't space things properly and occasionally use cryptic
names when programming (from what my son tells me), so i figure i should
change some of these bad habits.

how do people make use of the backup feature when they program?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's