Brian Henning wrote:
My local network (192.168.1.0) consists of three machine BSD1 (192.168.1.40) and
BSD2 (192.168.1.42). Both of these machines use  gateway/router (BSD3)
192.168.1.254
to access the internet. All of these machine are connected to a switch locally.
BSD3 connects to my isp and gets my single ip address that i want to share with
the
rest of my local network. Just a note, these machine get their ip addresses
staticly.

on my router i recompiled the kernel with these options.
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE            #firewall logging capability - optional
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100  #limit verbosity
options IPDIVERT                      #NATD

i have not added anything to my rc.conf file as of yet.
Eventually i will set up natd and firewall settings in my rc.conf, but can
someone direct me on how to do this manually so i can access the internet
from anywhere on my network.

r11 is my external network
rl0 is my internal network

natd -interface rl1
ipfw -f flush
ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via rl1
ipfw add pass all from any to any

does this seem correct?

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

Add 'sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1' to the above commands and you should be surfing in no time.