On Mar 13, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

good lesson to NOT make multiple partitions :)

And when a rogue app fills up /var and kills 4 other apps that could
have kept going ... are we then learning conflicting lessons?

Enterprise-class servers should have many partitions to separate different
functions and protect apps from each other.

This newbie admin agrees with this. Having a separate /var partition, in particular, has saved my bacon several times, at least until I figured out how to turn mysql-bin files off. The /var partition was at 100%, but the server kept going so I could diagnose and find the problem. Whew!

-- John