Keith Seyffarth wrote:
I went through pkg_rmleaves and deleted xfce and then everything it
exposed, then re-installed using portinstall -R

This installed 32 packages when I had only deleted 31, so something
got installed that wasn't previously.

Unfortunately, this still didn't fix the problems.

The XFCE menu still isn't available, and the screen resolution is
really horrible (did the developers assume everyone has a 30"
monitor?)

Anyway, what I really need is to know how to manually fix the
configuration since access to "settings" isn't available through XFCE
in 4.6 so I can make this usable until XFCE can be fixed.

Unless someone else has another idea...

Your problem is not xfce but xorg. It went through massive changes in 7.1 and it's now mandatory to have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You have to add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off" statement as last line in "ServerLayout" section. Doing console command Xorg -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf will build you one. By the way i used the package version of xfce4 on 7.1 and it's working just fine after i added the above xorg fixes.