On Apr 5, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Michael Powell wrote:

John Almberg wrote:

[snip]

Okay, so the machine is back online and I can log in again.

The hardware is only 18 months old or so... good quality stuff, so
hopefully nothing is physically damaged. We'll see...

Unfortunately, mysql isn't working at the moment... will make a
backup of data (I have the previous night's backup, of course, but
would like the latest, if possible.) Then will try to figure out
what's working and what's not.

Check the machine-hostname.err file when you manually try and start MySQL. Provided that you have mysql_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf you should be able to manually attempt to start with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start (it seems to work reliably when you type out the entire command path- wise).

Note that if somehow permissions on the my.cnf file got changed MySQL won't start if my.cnf is world writable. Check for stale PID and sockets. Normally these shouldn't be a problem as a startup will just overwrite them. Check these to eliminate any wonkiness, e.g. some permission change isn't allowing
for MySQL to wipe the old ones.

The whateverthehostname.err log and possibly /var/log/messages might give some clue for what's going on. If the database files are corrupt just clean them out and replace with a backup done with dump. Ensure the /var/ db/mysql tree is chowned mysql:mysql. If you had to install/reinstall from ports the install should have created the appropriate uid/gid accounts. Check and see
if these are missing.

At any rate I wish you the best of luck. Now that you can SSH in you can
probably fix it up.

Well, I had to give up, temporarily, on this server to get my clients back online.

I took a nice machine I had laying around, loaded a fresh copy of FreeBSD on it, installed mysql, and loaded the Saturday morning database backup.

I had to set up all the database permissions correctly, which took some time, but I'm happy to say that I've got all my clients back online with this new database server.

Now I am going to catch a couple hours sleep (this has been going on since 2 am). Once I restore some brain cells, I'll see if I can figure out what's happening with the main database server. NYI has taken it off line, for some reason, and I can't log into it anyway, at the moment.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. It's great to have this list to fall back on in a crisis.

Brgds: John