On Apr 7, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:15 PM, John Almberg wrote:
Well, I've got real problems with that database server that lost power over the weekend. We reloaded FreeBSD from scratch and then reinstalled mysql, and pf. I loaded up my database and switched over all my customer's websites. The database server ran fine for about 2 minutes, and then died. At the moment, I can't even ssh into the machine, although they can get into it using a keyboard/ monitor at the data center. In other words, sshd is not working.

That sounds like either a hardware problem (ie CPU overheating or marginal PSU failing under production load), or less likely, some kind of software misconfiguration. System logs would be useful to see whether any signs of trouble are being mentioned.

Apparently, power was fluctuating drastically before they decided to cut power, so a hardware problem is a definite possibility. A PSU failure would not surprise me in the circumstances.

Assuming I can ever ssh in again, what log would hardware failures be reported to?

-- John