af300...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

My motherboard, an ASUS K8V-X, has a generic type sound chip on board, according to ASUS' specifications, it is an AD1980 chipset. The hardware notes, linked from the handbook, does not list this chipset but does list several Intel type HDA chipsets including one AD1981 chipset. Never the less, using the handbook instructions I loaded the meta sound driver and my chipset was identified as a via8233 chipset. The meta driver loaded many drivers into the kernel, but through trial and error I've discovered that only sound.ko and snd_via8233.ko need to be loaded. So, I put these two lines into /boot/loader.conf:

sound="YES"
snd_via8233="YES"

However, these two modules do not load on bootup. Why? How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Andy

From man snd_via8233:

Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5):

snd_via8233_load="YES"