On Apr 13, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

The database ran well for about 2 minutes, then the server crashed again. The filesystem was again corrupted so badly that we could not even log in to look at the logs.

did memtest? it looks like it's fine until you stress your hardware

I didn't, but I just installed it and am running it at the moment. So far, so good.

The machine has 1G of memory, but I could not get an mlock unless I request 100 Meg or less. That is, I need to run something like:

# memtest 100

Does this sound right? If I run with 125 Meg, I get the following:

# memtest 125
memtester version 4.0.8 (64-bit)
Copyright (C) 2007 Charles Cazabon.
Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 (only).

pagesize is 4096
pagesizemask is 0xfffffffffffff000
want 125MB (131072000 bytes)
got  125MB (131072000 bytes), trying mlock ...failed for unknown reason.
Continuing with unlocked memory; testing will be slower and less reliable.
Loop 1:
  Stuck Address       : ok
  Random Value        : ok
  Compare XOR         : ok