Hi,

I´m a FreeBSD user from 4.0 version to Current (i386 arch). I've recently
switched to a amd64 machine and
consecuently to the amd64 version of the OS.
You claim the amd64 version enjoys "Tier 1 Status", but in the page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/archs.html
under the point "12.2 Tier 1: Fully Supported Architectures" i read:

"Tier 1 architectures are expected to be fully supported by the ports
system. All the ports should build on a Tier 1 platform,
or have the appropriate filters to prevent the inappropriate ones from
building there. The packaging system must support all
Tier 1 architectures. To ensure an architecture's Tier 1 status, proponents
of that architecture must show that all relevant
packages can be built on that platform."

At this moment is not possible to run Wine on a amd64 version of Freebsd due
to problems of the amd64 kernel handling
segment registers, ldt segments or something like that (too technical for me
to explain right but the point is
that it doesn´t work). No matter which way you try (port, 32 bit package,
etc) there is no report of success as far as i know.

My question is:

"Is Wine a non relevant port (I don't thik so) or the amd64 version of
FreeBSD doesn't meet the requirements to be
considered a Tier 1 Architecture ?"

Hope you will excuse my poor english.

Greetings and best wishes.

Julián Rodríguez.