Hi Thomas,

> We have a few servers and we are getting tired of having to log into
> each of them to check the logfile. (like tail -f /var/somelog)
>
> Is there a way to log things like /var/log/messages and
> /var/log/maillog to one central logging server ?

yes of course: set up a central syslog server.

As others mentioned before, the default syslog is not the first choice
if you have two aspects to be important:

- encryption
- reliability

Both items are solved, if you use syslog-ng. It works with tcp instead
of udp (reliability) and you can tunnel it over ssl or so if you need
encryption.

Google for "syslog-ng central log server" and you should find some
interesting reading.

hth

 -volker