Slight tangent, and you may have mentioned it before: What window manager
do you use?

fvwm2, BUT not because i like it's tools and widgets, but because all of them can be easily turned off :)

My configuration strips everything possible including window titles and borders, window moving and resizing are done with mouse+keyboard combinations, menu shows on keypress and i use it's "virtual desktop" function to switch between 24 of them using ALT-F* and CTRL-F*. ALT-X start xterm full screen so xterm "window" looks like text console, with the exception that i can run X program directly.

I can post my config if you wish, it's <1700 bytes.

Unfortunately there are no well done WWW browsers for unix in the world.
links -g is an exceptions, but in the same time it's quite limited.
But have best fonts :)

The links browser's interface is crap, as is that of every other text

why?

console based browser I've ever encountered.  Moving around within a

moving works well.