Sorry - it wasn't really intended that way. Please note that "slightly
downlevel..." was meant to refer to a combination of older Netburst
architecture and consumer retail motherboard.
The Core Xeons that replaced the old Netburst processors are much better
performers. In a true datacenter server environment wrt file serving it is

indeed. pentium IV in average usage (contrary to special cases like video encoding) are even 40% slower per clock cycle than pentium III.

new core2duo are mostly improved pentium III with higher clock and more cache :)

better to spend money on I/O rather than CPU. A server motherboard (as
opposed to consumer retail) will have better I/O subsystems, enabling better
throughput.

indeed. in most unix usage patterns it's more important than CPU speed.

with proper configuration it rarely swaps, and can easily saturate
100Mbit/s LAN, just not with single transfer, but it's not hardware
problem, but windows problem :)

At some point (when I went to a DSL broadband connection) I replaced the
above box with a K-6 II 500MHz with 384MB RAM. Same collection of multiple

somehow comparable to my config with sligtly slower CPU, would perform similar in my case.

services. This box was previously utilized for beta testing Windows NT 3.5,
3.51, and NT 4. So I was able to make a direct comparison between running
Windows NT and FreeBSD on the exact same piece of hardware. FreeBSD simply

there is no sense of any comparision ;)

just made better use of the hardware and outperformed NT. In order to match
what FreeBSD was capable of NT would require a more powerful hardware
platform.

No. it can't do most things that unix is capable of, unless you install cygwin ;)

will work just fine for what he and his 4 users have in mind for their
needs. I believe the performance characteristics of FreeBSD will maximize
his return on CPU cycles.

my home laptop (PIII-M/1133) is rarely limited by CPU power.