On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:11:00PM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:

> The point I was trying to make (badly), was that long options are a
> PITA to type. I don't believe it's any easier to learn the long names
> for options than the short ones. Since you're typing huge amounts of
> text quickly, you're more likely to make mistakes, and you'll probably
> forget them anyway.

One can have long options in a user-friendly way (some implementors choose
to allow them to be abbreviated; some environments do name-completion).

As I'm editing this remark, for example, I'm using a text editor that
does name-completion (a good thing since it has several hundred commands,
which can each be bound to a single character, etc).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net