On Jun 8, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Daniel Underwood wrote:

I'm looking for a way to manage my personal collection of research
articles.  Ideally I'd like some way to keep records on authors,
keywords, journals, and publication years of articles (PDF files)
downloaded onto my local drive.

 In the course of reading literature for research, it often happens
that I find myself wanted to return to something I have previously
read, but I only recall a few "things" about the article, often the
author and a keyword.  Is there some inventory/database software (for
local use only) that can be easily used for this purpose?  (The
closest things that comes to mind (conceptually) is "image collection"
software.)

What are some of my options here?

I know this probably won't help pure FreeBSD users, but if, like me, you use FreeBSD for servers, and Macs for desktop, I can't resist recommending my favorite program of all time, Yojimbo:

http://www.barebones.com/products/Yojimbo/

This is a general purpose 'Memory Bank'. You can throw all kinds of information into it, tag it with keywords, and retrieve it in an instant. It integrates with all Mac programs, so I use it all the time... Any time I get a pdf or web page I think I *might* want to reference someday, I throw it into Yojimbo. It's also great for documenting how to do things, so you don't have to relearn how to do a certain complicated thing 6 months after you figured it out the first time (I hate that).

It's hard to explain how it works, but it is the most incredibly useful program. Wish there was something like it in ports.

-- John