On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:40:50 +0800, Erich Dollansky <er...@apsara.com.sg> wrote:
> On 26 June 2009 pm 14:01:02 Polytropon wrote:
> > Maybe this is because vi scared me when using WEGA (which is
> > the GDR's equivalent of UNIX System III, run on the P8000
>
> was this the russian PDP-11?

I'm not sure if there was a PDP-11 compatible system. Contruction
mostly concentrated on IBM compatibles (and I don't mean PCs
with that, of course). Maybe there's something USSR-special
with a russian name (Iskra, Minsk, erm, no the Minsk wasn't
a PDP-like...).

There in fact was a system compatible to DEC's VAX architecture,
the robotron K1840:

http://www.robotrontechnik.de/index.htm?/html/computer/k1840.htm

It did not only have software support for VAX (with its OS
SVP1800), but as well for UNIX (with its OS MUTOS1800).

As far as I know, the russians (i. e. the soviets) participated,
like every country in the RGW, in manufacturing computers. From
the USSR, especially processors were delivered, while other
countries "specialized" on other fields, such as the GDR on
magnetic tape units.

The P8000 was manufactured by EAW in Berlin in the GDR. It was a
UNIX System III multi-user workstation environment, used mostly
for application programming.

http://www.robotrontechnik.de/index.htm?/html/computer/p8000.htm
http://www.robotrontechnik.de/index.htm?/html/computer/p8000compact.htm

I still own such a system and would like to get it working some
day (one P8000 and one P8000 compact).

So much for today's history lesson. :-)

> > multi-user workstation). Well, we were all young, many many
> > years in the distant past. :-)
>
> You want to say 'yesterday'?

No. Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. :-) Being
into that "computer stuff" makes you feel old, even when you're
young, because you've already seen everything...

> > When Bill G. arrives at the pearly gate, ol' Pete won't ask
> > him what he did do, instead send him to MICROS~1 C:\HELL.EXE
> > with the advice to click on the devil to start the everlasting
> > pain. :-)
>
> I do not think so. He will go directly to heaven. Why? He made all
> computer users pray that no data get lost when the machine
> freezes again.

And finally, he invented God, the Heaven, the Hell (delivered in
small packages called "Windows"), the universe, life and everything.
Children get educated that way, at least in today's german
schools. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany