On Mon 29 Jun 2009 at 08:19:58 PDT Gary Gatten wrote:
Good to know, but I was just being a smart-a$$.  I will have to try out
WINE though, been reading about it lately..

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of RW
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:21 PM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: The question of moving vi to /bin

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:15:12 -0500
"Gary Gatten" <ggat...@waddell.com> wrote:

I like M$ "Notepad" - is there a version of that for FBSD?

Actually, there is. Wine implements it's own version of notepad.

Because it implements its own version of the multiline edit control,
Notepad is just a thin wrapper around that, providing a main window to
house the control and a menu to drive it.

Wordpad is to the rich text control as Notepad is to the edit control.
Probably (meaning I don't know it for a fact) they were both originally
written as testbeds/demos for the controls, which are used throughout
Windows.

Kinda like the relationship between vi and curses, really -- except that
vi was written first and then curses was abstracted from it.