Michael David Crawford wrote:

Valentin and Olivier,

Thank you very much for your kind help.

I think what I needed were *both* NS and GLUE records. The NS record establishes a host as a nameserver, and the GLUE record allows the name server's own domain name to be within the domain it is the name server for - that is, GLUE records prevent infinite loops when looking up the domain it is a part of.

Yes and no.

Glue records make it possible to find the the NS in the first place; you're avoiding a broken chain rather than any risk of loops.

zone for example.com

mydomain        IN      NS      ns.mydomain.example.com.

zone for mydomain.example.com

                IN      NS      ns.mydomain.example.com.
ns              IN      A       123.123.123.123

If you have the above, you've properly delegated the mydomain.example.com zone to ns.mydomain.example.com, but you'll never reach anything in that zone, as the only A record for the server is in the zone you're trying to find the server for, and you have no idea where that server is...

So you have to put a

ns.mydomain.example.com.        IN      A       123.123.123.123

record in the example.com zone so that recursive lookups can find that one critical address and access the mydomain zone. That's the glue record.

--

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com