I've been reading the upgrade chapter in "Absolute FreeBSD", and it seems
like the best option is to download the source files for 7.2 and upgrade
from sources.

I've done it several times via ssh between major and minor versions without
any problems. You should read /usr/src/UPDATING for any additional
information.

Updating the source tree was no problem. So far so good. I'm running 'make buildworld' right now.

Luckily I have a remote serial port thingy, so I should be able to login to the box, even if ssh doesn't come up after reboot.

Pretty interesting, though I'd be a lot more nervous if this box had live applications running... Which is why it was still on 6.2!

Hopefully after this I'll feel more comfortable doing major upgrades, instead of just running freebsd-update.

-- John