2010/1/4 Randal L. Schwartz <mer...@stonehenge.com>

> krad> make sure you dont export the pool after you have copied the zpool
> cache
> krad> onto the zfs root fs, as that will break everything.
>
> Randal> Hmm.  But doesn't executing a shutdown automatically export
> everythign?
>
> Randal> if not, how is there ever a clean shutdown? :)
>
> But in fact, that was the problem.
>
> Once I followed *exactly* the instructions on the page,
> not trying to "tidy up before reboot", it works just fine.
>
> Thanks everyone for your help.
>
> --
> <mer...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
> discussion

it caught me out that. I think the issue is that export a zpool isnt
analogous to unmounting a file system. After all you can unmount a zfs fs
without exporting the pool. The fact that the zfs is copy on write and has
the zil should mean it wont loose its integrity.

Also every pool has the hostid of the current system that has imported it,
embedded in it somewhere. eg if you try to import a pool that was previously
mounted on another system and not exported, you have to import it with the
-f flag. Exporting the pool clears this faild an alters the state of the
pool.