they are there so you can compare the real checksum hash for the .ISO file against what you downloaded as a way to make sure you downloaded every single bit of the file or if it has been changed.

From: "Ffflee Ffflee" <ffflee_fff...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:39 PM
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: about the checksum

when i downloaded the freebsd ISO files is there any reason why
i should downlaod the checksum files also? why would they be on the download ISO page if there isnt a reason for them being there. what is the purpose of checksum files? and do I need to download them? I got the freebsd cd ISO. do i need any others off the same page. ..........Newby.