Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
"Tim" == Tim Judd <taj...@gmail.com> writes:

Tim> I've been in that same boat.  I eventually came to the decision to:
Tim>   Install PPTP server software, accepting connections from any IP.

Whoa.  Here we are, talking about making it *more* secure, and
you go the other direction....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Tunneling_Protocol#Security_of_the_PPTP_protocol

In short, you can't take anyone seriously who suggests PPTP when
talking about security.

Especially since rolling out OpenVPN and your own little CA to issue yourself and your 10 best friends certificates is pretty easy. I find it easier to wrap my head around than something like IPSEC for supporting a "trusted server on trusted network attached to by laptops that wander around in sometimes sleazy parts of the Internet" model.

Just make sure you've kept up to date with your SSL libraries.  :-)

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com