On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 02:45:41AM -0600, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
> Hi!
>
> By necessity and convenience, I have developed a series of additions and
> changes to the ports tree. These changes are probably not worthy of
> inclusion into the official tree, so I'm looking to maintain an overlay,
> of sorts, in the spirit of Gentoo's overlay capability.
>
> Is there an official method of hooking changes into a ports tree, while
> maintaining the ability to csup or portsnap the unmodified version? How
> do others tackle this particular problem?

I don't know if there is any "official" method, but the method I use to
keep local changes in the ports tree is as follows:
I use cvsup to maintain a local copy of the whole repository, and then
use cvs to checkout/update the ports tree from that copy of the
repository. cvs knows how to detect and keep local changes.
The disadvantage of this method is that updating the ports tree will be
slower. The advantage is much increased flexibility in maintaining
local changes or checking the history of any file.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson