I am setting up a router to share one Wi-Fi link between a few computers that
only support CAT-5. Like a wireless access point except wired and wireless
sides are reversed. My question is about the ipfw packet filter. >From the
handbook section on NAT, 31.9.3, I can achieve what I need with boot loader
options. Section 31.9.4 describes alternatives for building a custom kernel. In
contrast, the chapter on ipfw states several times that NAT requires a custom
kernel - 30.6.1, 30.6.2, 30.6.5.7.

I want to use freebsd-update and building a custom kernel eliminates that
option.

Which is correct? Do I need to build a custom kernel to use NAT?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
o...@aloha.com