> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Jonathan McKeown <j.mcke...@ru.ac.za> wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 June 2010 14:06:46 Rob Farmer wrote:

> >> I haven't received any of the messages, but I think they are being
> >> sent directly to list posters (not via the list) so FreeBSD can't
> >> really do much about it. If mpcustomer.com refuses to deal with it you
> >> can always try complaining to their upstream provider, taking the line
> >> that since the messages are unsolicited and there is no way to
> >> unsubscribe the practice is probably illegal.
> >
> > Well, yes, the message is being sent direct to list posters, but
> > supp...@mpcustomer.com (or some address that's relaying to it) is presumably
> > subscribed to the list (which I'm guessing was done maliciously), otherwise
> > they wouldn't be receiving these messages.
> >
> > I know it creates work for the admins, but couldn't their address be
> > unsubscribed and banned, given that they have been creating a nuisance for
> > at
> > least the last several weeks now?
>
> They posted in a previous thread about this, saying they couldn't
> unsubscribe under their address, ie. somebody is relaying mail to
> them. They were told they need to provide headers so postmaster can
> determine what address is subscribed. They never replied (at least on
> list). I'm not an expert about such things but I think without their
> cooperation there's no real way to tell who the relay is.

I host my own mail server.  The published terms of service warn that I
will charge people for time spent reading/investigating/otherwise
dealing with unsolicited mail:
http://www.potentialtech.com/cms/node/9

Whether or not this is legally enforceable has yet to be seen.  And in
most cases, it's completely useless (i.e., spam coming from China, or
a single email from a single breach where the sysadmins are johnny on
the spot getting things cleaned up).

However, in cases where there is a continuing problem, I've found that
contacting the admins and pointing out that their failure to solve the
issue will result in an invoice will get people to get off their ass and
do their job.

I recommend posting similar terms of service for all of you who host your
own emails/sites/whatever.  Also, if I get spam in response to this message,
I will contact the spammer to notify them of the terms they are violating,
which may get things cleared up all by itself.  And if it continues, who
knows, I may get my first opportunity to see if that TOS holds up in
court.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com