I also have a similar problem (slow start-up) with gnome 2.30. In my case
gnome-panel stops for some time (30 secs ?) then outputs a message to the
console and then everything is ready to accept input. I can't attach the output
message now.

In my /etc/rc.conf I just added

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

and then created '.xinitrc' in ~ with the following line

exec gnome-session

I start everything with 'startx'.

This way I can see error messages on the tty, where 'startx' has been launched.

I can not say where debug messages are sent once you also enable gdm.