John Almberg wrote:
If you have hardware controller with RAID capabilities, using native RAID is better, otherwise look towards gvinum or maybe ccd; see also:
I've just been reading up on RAID in my Absolute FreeBSD book, and it occurs to me that my client has a SCSI RAID drive chassis that he is using stupidly...

It's a 14 bay drive, and he's currently got seven 32G drives stuck in it, configured with RAID-0. This is the original 200G drive I was talking about. It's a few years old.

Over the next few years, this guy is going to need lots of storage for his videos.

After a bit of reading, I'm wondering if the best idea might be to toss out those 32G drives and replace them with 3 big (say, 300G) drives configured with RAID-5. It sounds to me like a RAID-5 array can be expanded by adding new drives.

QUESTION: is expansion normally a matter of just plugging in a new drive? Is the new drive automatically grafted onto the old drives? Or do you have to go through a process like, backing up the data, plugging in the new drive, reformatting the expanded array of drives, and restoring the data.

I don't know the brand/model of the RAID drive chassis, but the client thinks it can be switched to use RAID 5. I'm waiting for the technical details, but assuming it can handle RAID-5 for now.
Answering my own question...

So its a HP 6402 / 128 RAID controller. From a quick skim of the manual, it looks like the controller has to go through an 'expansion' process when adding a new drive. This sounds time consuming, but more or less automatic -- i.e., handled by the controller.

Sounds like this might be the best way to go.

-- John