Thanks, Chuck.

I talked with a former colleague that has a lot of experience in specing out
UPS requirements (between battery-ready and generator-ready backups at the
office they have up to 5 minutes of battery backup before the gas generator is
needed with a 128-hour recharge time just to support their servers and wiring
racks in the office).

He thinks that at 500W needed it would give me about 12 minutes on a 1400VA. My
consideration is, then, give the server 2 minutes on battery. If full power has
not been returned, shut down the server but leave the modem (w/ wireless) and
switch running with power for up to 6 hours.

Now I need to build a server (looking at RAID5 8x2TB) for less than $1600 w/o a
CPU if I can... a local custom builder quoted me $4000 today for a full system
inc. CPU, RAM and DVD.

--
Ryan