On 08/23/10 09:21, Warren Block wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Rem P Roberti wrote:

Thanks to the list X11 is now running perfectly on my desktop; not so on my Thinkpad R51. Here's what's happening. I installed xorg on this new 8.1 installation, and have run the xorg configure program, copying the xorg.conf.new file to /etc/X11 as xorg.conf. I have both hald and dbus enabled in /etc/rc.conf. When I try to run the test on xorg.conf, or if I just run "startx" I momentarily see the initial screen, which is displayed when X11 loads, but then the screen goes blank, and that's all she wrote. No keyboard, no mouse, totally frozen. The only way out is a reboot via the power switch.

The R51 should have Mobility Radeon 7500 or 9000 graphics. Here's the xorg.conf from my T42 with a 7500:

http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/index.html?action=show_config&config=xconfig&laptop=12947

Apparently IBM used a number of different graphics cards with this laptop. Pciconf -lv indicates a 855/GM Montara Integrated Graphics Device. I am in the process of copying the xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files over to this computer so that I can post them.