On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Bruce Cran <br...@cran.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:23:36 +0200
> claudiu vasadi <claudiu.vas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what s-ata1 controller would you recommend in this case ?
>
> I don't know, I've just heard that the Sil adapters have a bad
> reputation, including for data corruption. Things may have improved in
> the 5 years since though.

I can chime in here -- I've gone through two SiI 3114s (Rosewill
RC-209s). Fortunately for me, the system wasn't critical and the cards
failed at reboots -- and I had spares :)

The upside is, if you're using ZFS, data corruption may not be an
issue. Also, did we mention that the cards are CHEAP? Like, bottled
water cheap.

On the other hand, I've read of "higher end" Rosewill (presumably also
SiI) cards performing admirably, and for extended periods. Luck of the
draw, I suppose...

2 cents,

Brandon