On Wed 06 Oct 2010 at 07:31:58 PDT Mark Blackman wrote:
Charlie Kester wrote:
On Tue 05 Oct 2010 at 06:25:05 PDT Mark Blackman wrote:

There's also the whole train of thought that says FreeBSD isn't really
aimed at the desktop/laptop/notebook use model and any benefit in that
arena is entirely coincidental.

I've often seen that opinion expressed, but never on the FreeBSD website
or in any of its "official" materials.

On the contrary, most of the official literature presents it as an OS
for general-purpose computing, and not only for servers.

If I'm wrong about and there is an official statement somewhere that the
main intention is to provide an OS for servers, it would be good to
know.

It's derived from a server/workstation OS and I assume the number of FreeBSD deployed servers wildly outnumbers the desktop/notebook installations and the tag line is "The power to serve", so there's a
strong server bias.

Yet if you go to http://www.freebsd.org the first thing you will read is
that "FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for modern server,
desktop, and embedded computer platforms."   Nothing about a bias toward
servers or that it "isn't really aimed at the desktop/laptop/notebook
use model."

If FreeBSD is really aimed primarily at servers, I would expect to see
something about this in the goals statement found in the FAQ and
Handbook.  But there's no such indication there.

So I can see why some people might be frustrated by the lack of
attention to some important issues for desktop/laptop/notebook hardware
support.  Nothing in the project literature tells them it's not a