On Wednesday 10 November 2010 06:21:18 Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 04:02:34 +0100
>
> "Michael Ross" <michael.r...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > For Windows OSes there is actually a rather nice tool out there,
> >
> >     http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/
> >
> > which allows you to script the GUI cross-app.
>
> Microsoft also have the UI Automation API to script GUI applications.

In my humble experience, I think there are 2 distinct aspects to this issue.

I use FBSD both as desktop and as server. In practice, I need a GUI for
desktop work and none whatsoever for server work.

The only time I needed some kind of GUI component on a server was when I
wanted to test a VM on it and I wanted the comodity of running VirtualBox
console on my desktop. Other than that, the command line is more than enough.

OTOH, for the kind of work that I do, having 4 workspaces is absolutely handy.
And to be able to switch between these 4 scenarios with the scroll of a middle
button is definetly a plus.

just my 0,02 cents.

--
Mario Lobo