On Tue 07 Dec 2010 at 23:39:26 PST Polytropon wrote:
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 21:57:49 -0800, Charlie Kester <corky1...@comcast.net> wrote:
My LJ4+ was connected via parallel and I never noticed any problems with
error messages or the speed.

Error messages: This started with FreeBSD 7. The system
log gets full of

        lpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
        lpt0: [ITHREAD]

when printing. I even have

        hw.intr_storm_threshold="1000"

in /boot/loader.conf. I didn't have this problem with 4 and 5.

Oh yeah, *those* messages.  I did have those too.

As a last gasp effort, I gave my LJ4+ a thorough cleaning and replaced
the rollers for the output feed in the back.  And hey, it seems to be
working now!  The way it had been sounding, I was sure I'd broken
something the last time I replaced the toner cartridge after clearing a
paper jam.  But maybe I just didn't have the cartridge properly
seated...

So now I'm looking into ways to adapt it to use a network connection.