On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Chris Brennan wrote:

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:56 AM, Ian Smith <smi...@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 16:31:17 -0500, Chris Brennan wrote:
[.. trimming ccs, selectively quoting and de-gmailing a bit ..]

Trimmings! Oh nevermind. I don't know what possessed me to  go and look
at the debug window. But I do and I see the following.

GEOM: ad4: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: ad4: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

This is even after zero the beginning and the end of the drive ....
Something is hinky!

Today I also found that zeroing the beginning and end of the drive didn't seem to be enough. I had the start of a huffy email about how hard it was to calculate the end of a drive in blocks, and how dd didn't have a negative oseek to seek backwards from the end. But then I checked gpart(8)... and it turns out that

# gpart destroy -F da0

works. Be very careful that you've got the right drive there, of course.