On 01/23/11 09:25, Gary Kline wrote:
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:22:51PM +0100, Terrence Koeman wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-
questi...@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Gary Kline
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2011 22:33
To: FreeBSD Mailing List
Subject: lightbulb? prob'ly not, but....

[snip]

# telnet 10.47.0.230
Trying ...
telnet: connect to addr n.n.n.n: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remotr host

Does the "Connection refused" signify anything in the bind/dns world.
?

BEfore i portupgraded to bind97 from bind9, this kind of stuff worked.

Seeing as you're not resolving any hostname it's not DNS.

You also have not specified a port for telnet to connect to so it'll default to
23, which you probably don't want. Try 'telnet 10.47.0.230 80' (80 is the
standard port for http).

        YES.  I get into ethic as with a normal telnet; when i hit return, I
        see index.php; the source, not the web file that lynx of firefox
        shows.  I'll KVM over to my desktop and cut/paste from there.
BTW, the 'Connection Refused' message means that the port is closed and sending
a RST, which means that either nothing is listening on the port or that the
system is sending RST's because of a firewall rule. If you haven't setup such
rules you can assume the first to be the case.

        wHat _should_ be listening on port 80 that isn't?

Apache or any other http server
--
Regards,
T. Koeman, MTh/BSc/BPsy; Technical Monk

MediaMonks B.V. (www.mediamonks.com)
Please quote relevant replies in correspondence.