On 05/13/2011 14:34, Alejandro Imass wrote:
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Chris Telting
<christopher...@telting.org>  wrote:
On 05/13/2011 01:32, krad wrote:
[...]
me ask you.. is "sudo ping" acceptable? Please explain the logical reason
why not. It would be the preferred method if suid didn't exist and sudo was
part of the base system.
The sudo versus suid theme is discussed ad-nauseam in many lists and
forums, as well as the C wrappers for doing stuff suid.
IMHO, however, sudo can give you more granular control though
paradoxically relies on suid itself.
The question here is why make the whole freaking interpreter suid when
you can granularly control the specific script.
Anyway, I would personally use a wrapper or sudo.
I honestly tried when I posted the question to avoid the question of right or wrong. I simply have one opinion for my own need and preference and don't want to go into rigid detail and did not mean to reopen the issue. I simply wanted to know if anyone had a patch already or a flag enabled it. It's similar to the phrase that if you have to ask you can't afford it except in this case it means you can. I have a feeling someone somewhere did it. If no one comes forward I will post a proper patch for review and maintain documentation of the pitfalls to the extent I can and that others forward to me. I have no desire to change Freebsd's standard practice. I leave that to the steering committee of each and every distribution of unix like systems. I am simply grateful to be able to make my development systems work the way I want it to because I want it to. It's a question of complete phylosophy to me as to the base unix permissions system. I simply know what appeals most to me the way that I use systems. We all love Freebsd because it means choice. I apologize to anyone that thinks I reopened a can of worms and wasted time, it was not my goal.