On 08/24/2011 11:41 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
Probably start by installing PC-BSD -- that's based on FreeBSD but
tailored to providing the sort of desktop environment you'ld want on a
laptop.

I made search before posting and it also seems a good directoin to take.

Virtualization is actually a bit of a tricky thing with FreeBSD.
There's Jail, which is excellent -- very light weight, but it only works
with FreeBSD guests.

That will be alright for experimenting FreeBSD and learning.
Will I be able to jail a FreeBSD within a PC-BSD host?

 There's VirtualBox, but that runs the guest OSes
as a standard client application and it tends to be slow,

Mmmh, even on Linux I dont really like VirtualBox. I'd rather KVM.

or there's
Xen, where dom0 support by FreeBSD is in the works, but probably not
good enough for production use yet.

According to http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen, I think I could be able to use Xen for learning purpose.

I used some Xen 3.0.x on Linux a long time ago then switched to KVM.

What about http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/BSD?
Some users in here?
It's just to use a PCBSD as host, then virtualize some Linuxes or Windows for presentation purposes (not production).

The FreeBSDs will be "jailed".

Running FreeBSD as a guest under most virtualization software works well
-- it's fine with Linux KVM for instance.

Thank you.

--
RMA.