On 03/10/12 08:21, Mark Felder wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:33:53 -0600, Weldon Godfrey <wel...@excelsusphoto.com> wrote:

I would highly recommend looking at Dovecot.  I have used courier for
several ISPs then switched to Dovecot on my last install. Its ability for caching the index per user is of great performance advantage if you choose
to leverage an IMAP based webmail solution (like Roundcube, or even
Squirrelmail, but I would recommend Roundcube over Squrrel)...especially if
you are going to deal with mailboxes of tens of thousands of messages.

I concur. We use Dovecot at work and even put the indexes on Intel SSDs. My boss's mailbox is actually 1.2 million messages. That's pretty insane.

For my personal email I prefer Archiveopteryx which sanitizes, normalizes, and deduplicates your email. There are caveats (breaks gpg), but I find it to be wicked fast -- faster than Dovecot on my server.

Here's an annoying problem: You have a filesystem with 9 million messages in Maildirs. Backing this up or even rsyncing this sucks. Now imagine being able to use database replication and use database dumps for your backups. Pretty slick. You lose the beautiful power of shell utilities, though....
Yes, thats true. That was tested in the paper: a cyrus? using sql database backend performed faster in searches and lookups. But writing and deleting was a drag, and you lose the shell; but I'm not sure that thats such a problem as one could find tools in the sql commands (provided you know databases well enough).

My idea was to run some tests based on extremes, but by the sounds of some of these replies I'm a small fry it seems, not as extreme as I thought... :)