Le 21 juin 2012 à 03:52, kpn...@pobox.com a écrit :

> All of this may seem stupid to a reasonable person outside of law. I'll agree
> that it probably does look stupid. But it is also the reality of the legal
> systems we must live with today.

I can only praise kpneal for this very well argumented post. However some
remarks.
The whole argument revolves around FUD, fear, uncertainty and doubt. But there
will
never be any shortage of lawyers trying to spread FUD on any subject to please
their
clients, and if companies "bend over" instead of fighting FUD they will
promptly be paralyzed.
Last time a company tried to use such tactic against Linux, it did not turn out
a bright
idea. Second, FreeBSD is not a commercial company, and while this argument may
have a merit
for commercial sponsors of FreeBSD, it has zero bearing on FreeBSD itself. If
FreeBSD appears
as a subsidiary of some commercial company (say Juniper) i am not sure this
will be good
for its further development. This being said, i agree with you that the FreeBSD
binaries will
not see a big performance degradation through the use of clang, so, as long as
gcc is in the ports
to be used with performance critical stuff, it is no big deal. Anyways as a
long time FreeBSD
user i have seen clang presented as an experiment by two or three people, and
then suddenly stuffed
without any discussion in the base system, apparently for political reasons
that i don't share
(i mean this stupid obsession of "GPL free" system, which has replaced the
previous focus on
quality and performance).

--

Michel Talon