On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 21:00:40 +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
 > On 08/07/2012 16:06, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > In general they're not distinct in usage from any other type of disk.
 >
 > The more expensive disks of course support TRIM so you'd want to pass -t to
 > newfs to enable it.

Thanks.  Next time I blow around AU$455 on a 120GB flashdrive, I'll be
glad to be better informed about getting the most out of it :)

At least with sysinstall|sade you can set extra newfs options such as
-t, and as importantly for me, you can toggle whether or not to newfs
particular partition/s, such as leaving say /home alone on an existing
partitioning, which didn't seem straightforward with bsdinstall last I
tried (admittedly at 9.0-BETA1) but I've not followed later updates.

I might take Matthew's suggestion and try the PCBSD 9 installer; I did
boot a PCBSD 8 memstick at one stage, and was surprisingly impressed -
or I could use freebsd-update instead of sources to go from 7.4 to 9.1

"It's the options that drive ya crazy" -- Silly Symphony C.'83

cheers, Ian