ports lately and not everyone can or wants follow all the patches
flying around, I'd like to share that the Linux binary build runs
fine for me.

I downloaded Linux' x86 tar package, did tar xf to get RPMs
and finally:
 for i in *rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio -ivd; done
That created opt/libreoffice3.5. You can move where you like
and start it using libreoffice3.5/program/soffice.

(I'm tracking 9-STABLE with Linux compatibility enabled it this
matters.)

May this help someone lazy or impatient like me...

what's wrong in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice-3

?