In 8.x and older when I plugged in my usb thumb drive I got some messages on the console. But in 9.0 and 9.1 those message no longer show up on my

i run 9.0 and after i plug any USB device kernel output messages as usual.
It always get displayed on first console (ttyv0), the rest depends on your syslog config.

Did the message class of those usb plug-in message change between 8.x and 9.x? IE as defined in /etc/syslog.conf

If their in a new class what is it?

what you mean "console". what kernel displays on first console does not depend on syslog. turn off syslog and it will be displayed too.