On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Al Plant wrote:

I am having problem getting usb plug in /flash drive to come up on FreeBSD * several boxes with different versions of FreeBSB os I have 3 boxes for testing here at my shop.

Can anyone point me to any articles on this issue.

Is there a command like usbconfig (saw this mentioned in an email question but it doesnt work) to bring this up on screen?

I don't know of any articles, but here is what I do:

$ uname -r
8.0-STABLE
$ ls /dev | grep ^da
$

(note that there is nothing found) ...and then plug in the thumb drive and do it again:

$ ls /dev | grep ^da
da0
da0s1
$

...and now I can mount it. Since this drive is a FAT32 filesystem, I use mount_msdosfs. Having an entry in /etc/fstab is a convenience but not strictly necessary.

Dmesg of the booted units shows da1 mostly but this identity cant be accessed on any of them.

After pluggin in my thumb drive, my dmesg shows

da0: <SanDisk Cruzer 1.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 7629MB (15625216 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 972C)

Note that while dmesg only shows da0, my `ls /dev` also shows da0s1. You may need to use /dev/da1s1 or similar (depending on what you see from `ls /dev`) in your mount command. Try a few permutations.

HTH, and maika'i pomaika'i.

--
Chris Hill               ch...@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]